As a member of Fox, O’Neill & Shannon’s corporate practice group, Michael (Mike) Koutnik’s practice primarily focuses on real estate, transactional law and general corporate matters. The diversity of Mike’s practice areas means he is equipped to counsel a client on how to correctly form a start-up business, help an existing business secure and develop real estate to accommodate its growth, and guide the client through complex commercial transactions.
Mike’s varied skillset helps him provide clients with the context necessary to understand how one company issue fits into business’s larger operations, and how one decision may impact the client in other, seemingly unrelated, areas. Despite the variety in his practice areas, Mike’s approach to law remains consistent: fully understand his clients’ goals and develop effective solutions to achieve them.
- Served as local counsel in 2018 for a healthcare company’s $20,000,000 acquisition.
- Represented a Milwaukee property development company in its $17,000,000 refinancing transaction in 2018.
- In 2017, assisted a manufacturing business in all phases of developing a new headquarters, including land acquisition and negotiation of its construction contract.
- Represented a Wisconsin agricultural company in its 2016 sale of over 8,500 acres of Wisconsin farmland valued at over $45 million.
- Represented an international corporation in the 2016 establishment of its U.S. headquarters in the Milwaukee area, by forming the domestic entity, structuring the entity to fit within the parent corporation’s organization, performing initial regulatory filings, and negotiating the company’s lease.
- Assisted a Milwaukee based company with its 2016 $5 million combined acquisition and development of a historic structure for a combined brewery/restaurant.
- Assisted a Milwaukee based company with its 2015 $45 million acquisition and development of a 250,000 square foot mixed-use building
Mike was honored as a 2017 Up and Coming Lawyer by the Wisconsin Law Journal. To see Mike’s video interview and read his Law Journal profile, click on “Up and Coming” badges above.
Mike was also named to the prestigious list of Super Lawyer Rising Stars in 2017.
Mike obtained a Bachelor’s Degree in Economics from Marquette University.
Mike received his J.D.degree, with honors, from Marquette University Law School. Mike was associate editor of the Marquette Law Review. His published law review comment, LONG LIVE LIFE SETTLEMENTS: THE CURRENT STATUS AND PROPOSED DIRECTION OF THE LIFE SETTLEMENT MARKET, was awarded the Law School’s Silver Quill Award. Mike was also an intern in the chambers of a Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice.
Born and raised in Two Rivers, Wisconsin, Mike enjoys golfing, backpacking, canoeing, and reading in his free time. Most of all, Mike enjoys downhill skiing, having made multiple ski trips to British Columbia, California, Colorado, Utah, and Nevada. Mike hopes to cross Wyoming off his skiing list soon.