Fox, O’Neill & Shannon, S.C., shareholder Jacob Manian fights aggressively for individuals and businesses in a wide range of criminal and civil matters, from state and federal government investigations, including white collar civil, regulatory and criminal charges, to basic and complex commercial litigation.
Jake is in the upper echelon of private practice litigators, having served as lead counsel in over 50 jury trials. His professional peers have recognized Jake’s expertise by, among other things, honoring him as one of the list of Super Lawyers, Rising Stars and a Wisconsin Law Journal Up and Coming Lawyer. To view the Wisconsin Law Journal’s video and print profiles of Jake, click on the Up and Coming Lawyer badges at the top of this page.
A former Milwaukee County Assistant District Attorney, Jake understands the complex nature of government investigations, prosecutions, and negotiations. His extensive trial and prosecutorial experience enables him to achieve the best results for clients caught in the criminal or civil justice systems. His combination of criminal and civil practice allows him to see the big picture impact for his clients, which attorneys who practice in only the criminal or civil arena may miss. Jake’s criminal practice includes all matters in municipal, state and federal courts, from drunk driving matters, to weapon and drug cases, to homicide charges.
As the head of the firm’s white collar practice, Jake, with the assistance of the firm’s experienced business, tax, accounting, and election law attorneys, ably and aggressively defends his clients against the disproportionate financial and other resources of all levels of government. As part of his practice, Jake has represented clients in matters involving:
- Wisconsin District Attorneys’ offices in multiple counties (DA)
- Wisconsin Department of Justice – Attorney General (AG)
- Wisconsin Department of Justice – Criminal Investigation Division (CID)
- U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ)
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF)
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
- Department of Energy (DOE)
- United States Postal Inspection Service (USPIS)
- Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection (DATCP)
- Milwaukee County Audit Services Division (ASD)
Representative Criminal Cases
- Jake, as lead counsel and after a six-day trial, successfully obtained a Not Guilty verdict and the dismissal of a six-year felony for a client charged with embezzling several hundred thousand dollars from his former company. The case involved an enormous amount of business and financial records going back nearly a decade. While the government hired an expert forensic accountant to testify at trial, Jake obtained the testimony of a defense expert forensic accountant and was assisted by Fox, O’Neill & Shannon, S.C.’s expert tax and accounting attorneys.
- Jake successfully obtained a Not Guilty verdict and the dismissal of a 10-year felony charge, for possessing a firearm as a felon, against a client. The case involved a local law enforcement agency working in conjunction with the federal DEA.
- Jake has negotiated the favorable resolution of numerous criminal felony drug, weapons and financial charges, avoiding years in prison for his clients.
- Jake, through rigorous investigations and negotiations, has successfully persuaded prosecutors to forego issuing criminal charges against multiple clients.
- Jake has successfully represented clients charged in large-scale criminal federal drug conspiracies and Hobbs Act charges involving Title III wiretaps, criminal informants, government surveillance technology and cell tower maps.
- Jake has successfully obtained favorable terms for many individual and corporate clients responding to grand jury subpoenas issued as part of large federal investigations, and in obtaining governmental assurances protecting his clients in those proceedings.
In addition to his criminal practice, Jake represents individuals and businesses in basic and complex disputes, including commercial or contract matters, property damage and claims of discrimination or wrongful termination. Representing both plaintiffs and defendants, Jake’s valuable litigation experience and expertise has yielded favorable client outcomes in a wide range of civil matters, including breach of contract, negligence and other tort matters, including construction defect, products liability, defamation, and personal injury claims.
Representative Civil Cases
- After years of contentious litigation, Jake successfully negotiated and obtained a seven-figure settlement, from a landlord and its insurer, for the estate of a woman who suffered severe carbon monoxide poisoning, and subsequently died from her injuries, because of defects in her apartment.
- Jake successfully negotiated and obtained a favorable settlement, representing a small fraction of the damages initially demanded by a plaintiff, for a national appliance manufacturer client sued on products liability claims.
- Jake successfully negotiated and obtained a favorable settlement in litigation for a non-profit client, based on a contractor’s negligent installation of the client’s parking lot, yielding multiple cracks and holes in the lot.
- After investigation and taking the deposition of the claimant Jake successfully obtained opposing counsel’s dismissal of a former employee’s discrimination claim against a client employer.
- Jake successfully negotiated and obtained a favorable settlement in a lawsuit’s mediation, and so avoided a costly and time-consuming trial, for a client company and against the supplier of a faulty chemical and its insurer.
Jake always endeavors to resolve disputes without litigation. If litigation is unavoidable, however, he has the skill and experience to vigorously represent clients from a complaint’s filing, to pre-trial proceedings, to trial and, if appropriate, to an appeal.