(f/k/a Laurna A. Jozwiak)
Laurna Kinnel counsels individuals and businesses in a variety of areas, focusing her practice on corporate law, family law and trademark work. She has experience both in and out of the courtroom, including mediation, pretrial motion practice, appellate and post-judgment practice, commercial transactions, contract negotiation and trademark and service mark prosecution.
In her work with businesses, Laurna assists clients with many aspects of their operations, including establishing new businesses, mergers and acquisitions, financing, contract negotiations, internal employee matters and collections.
As part of her business, Laurna understands the importance and value of intangible assets. She helps businesses guard their intellectual property through domestic and international trademark prosecution, and counsels clients in the selection, maintenance, protection and enforcement of trademarks.
Laurna also understands the difficulties facing individuals and families involved in family law disputes, including divorce, paternity, custody and placement, child support, maintenance and other post-judgment issues. She understands that family law is not “one-size-fits-all”, and provides a variety of practice approaches, including document drafting assistance, settlement-focused divorce, collaborative divorce and traditional litigation to trial, tailoring each case to each client’s goals. She uses these various processes and techniques to effectively assist clients in obtaining favorable results and creative solutions to suit each family’s particular needs, and to assist clients.
Laurna’s expertise has been widely recognized by her professional peers, including through her selection to the list of Super Lawyers Rising Stars and receipt of the Wisconsin Law Journal Up and Coming Lawyer award. To view the Wisconsin Law Journal’s video and print profiles of Laurna, click on the Up and Coming Lawyer badges at the top of this page.
- Regularly represents clients in protecting and enforcing their intellectual property and trademark rights, in the United States and internationally, through prosecuting trademark applications, negotiating license agreements, and protecting against intellectual property infringement.
- Assists in the preparation and negotiation of securities filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission in connection with multiple private placements.
- Regularly assists clients in the preparation of separation agreements for departing employees.
- Routinely represents clients in the negotiation and preparation of prenuptial agreements.
- Represented a local dentist in the sale of his practice.
- Represented a Milwaukee client negotiate the 2016 refinancing of New York City investment property.
- Represented a local sporting goods distributor in the multimillion dollar 2016 sale of its business to a large, publicly traded company.
- Represented a local orthodontist in the 2014 sale of his practice.
- Represented a storage and material handling business in its 2014 acquisition of another local material handling business.
- Represented a leading local pipe and related components provider in the sale of its business to a large Kentucky-based pipe solutions provider.
Laurna is active with the Milwaukee Young Lawyers Association, serving as its President during the 2017-2018 term. Laurna serves on several professional boards, including the Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association and the Society of Family Lawyers. She regularly volunteers with Legal Action of Wisconsin’s Volunteer Lawyer’s Project.
Laurna grew up in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. After graduating from Divine Savior Holy Angels High School, she attended the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, graduating magna cum laude. Laurna earned her J.D., cum laude, from Marquette University Law.
While in law school, Laurna first began volunteering at the Volunteer Legal Clinic at the House of Peace. She continues to support the organization today as a volunteer attorney. Laurna also contributes to the community through her board memberships for multiple local non-profit organizations.
In her free time Laurna enjoys spending time with her family, cooking, reading, cheering on the Marquette Golden Eagles and working on her golf game.